Thursday, April 7, 2011

the wonderfully quirky Garance Dore

I've talked on here before about how much I adore Garance Dore's blog before, but she has done it again with her post on the semantics of New York Fashion Week, and I just have to share it. She is very well-known not just in the blog world but in the actual, IRL fashion world, yet she keeps this quirky, curious, completely non-pretentious tone about her blog that I absolutely love! Not to mention the text is paired with amazing street fashion photos where more often than not, the subjects are actually smiling & wearing outfits with color! She's a miracle blogger. Anyway, here are her translations on the phrases of the high fashion world, found here. Due to space restrictions for the runway show, we will unfortunately not be able to accomodate your invitation request = Who are you and who is the idiot that gave you my e-mail address? Oh you know, this time around, I decided to live fashion week a little differently. I’ve decided to only go see shows I REALLY want to see, see some of the young designers, you know, where you find TRUE inspiration = ever since I changed magazines, I’m not invited to any of the important shows. What are you doing after the show? Arg, I just have to go backstage after, pffff. = I know the designer = I’m more powerful than you. What did I think of the show? Oh! It always takes me a little time to digest what I’ve just seen… = I haven’t had time yet to check Cathy Horyn’s twitter to see what I thought of the show. You coming tonight? = … to the super private party everyone’s talking about. You know full well what party I’m talking about. I doubt you’re invited. Ah? You ARE coming? = They invited YOU?! Excuse me, what is number on your invitation ? Get out of my front row seat, bitch. There is, of course, non-verbal language as well. Non-verbal communication… VERY important. ◦I’m wearing sandals even though it’s 20 below = I have a driver. ◦I arrive with empty hands and no invitation = My invitation is my face. Everyone knows me. ◦I come with 12 people without being invited = I’m Kanye West. (LOVE THAT!)

No comments: