Saturday, August 4, 2012

summer snackin'--make your own pickles

 Two years ago, a family friend brought homemade pickles to our Christmas Eve party and they were ba-na-nas (they were cucumbers, but you know what I mean). I have been thinking about them randomly ever since, because they were the best pickles I've ever had, so when I saw this recipe on the A Beautiful Mess blog I (talked incessantly about it for a week & then) jumped on it. 
 You'll need: veggies to pickle (I was boring and stuck with cucumbers), peppercorns, dill sprigs, 1 cup white vinegar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tbs sugar, 1 cup water. I also added peeled & halved garlic cloves to 2 of my jars & seeded, sliced serrano peppers to one jar, just for some added kick. 
 1. slice veggies & throw in jars.
2. add a few dill sprigs & a small handful of peppercorns to each jar. add garlic & peppers if desired.
3. mix water, vinegar, sugar & salt together then pour over veggies. seal, throw in the fridge overnight, et voila! they get more & more flavorful as time goes on, but I couldn't wait more than a day. Enjoy as a snack or on a yummy sandwich--I certainly have been. Thanks to Emma for the recipe!
xo Charity

9 comments:

Amanda k. said...

Yum! I have been on a big pickle kick lately, but haven't tried making my own yet. Might have to give this a try!

Anonymous said...

Who knew it was that easy! And I loooove me some pickles. I'm definitely gonna have to try this!

xo,
jessie

thegirlhassparke said...

I love pickles and this seems so easy! I am off to check out your vintage store.

bridget anne said...

cute! these have been on your to-do list since a beautiful mess too. great photos, char! they're only getting more & more awesome.

Unknown said...

my boyfriend and I have made our own pickles before - we ate them right up! so delicious, fun and easy to make!

xxx
www.ladyalamode.com

ShyScout said...

I am not big on pickles but these look so pretty in the jars!!

Annie said...

Oh YUM! Those pickles look amazing - what a fun & delicious thing to make :)

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Eatlovemerry said...

Yummy, this look so good!! :)

Tamara @ Go Fish Style said...

awesome!